FFXIV - Using Leves to level Gathering

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aboji, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Aboji

Aboji New Member

Hi community,

My last videos were quite enjoyable to make and they seemed to be fairly well received.

Here is another video that I put together today. The information is a bit basic for some, but it might be useful to some others who have not fully explored Gathering and Levequests yet.

Thanks in advance for all the comments!

Kolossus likes this.
  2. Legwen

Legwen Well Known Member

i feel like leve grinding gathering is pointless and a waste. I dont like it.
  3. Aboji

Aboji New Member

Unfortunately, the only alternative is grinding the standard way by gathering gathering and more gathering. That will drive you to the edge :)
  4. Madmex

Madmex Member

Is that book a one time use?
  5. Maxism

Maxism Member

Hmm when I have the book, the grind on normal nodes is barely bearable.

The problem with leve grinding is, you don't get anything left over to use or sell. This will inevitably hurt the supply of all but the high level mats. If experience wasn't scaled so horribly once you outlevel the node, this might help. If they raise yield for other items this may also alleviate the problem.

Just an example of what I mean. I would like ice shards but I was level 10 MIN. I get zilch experience when I gather shards for my ARM.

The most efficient way to level is a combination of manuals and leves which yields experience only. Fair enough you may say, but I would've enjoyed some mats for other crafts.

Heck I'll just level and sell end game mats and rebuy lowbie mats. /delete post
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 17, 2013 ---
    There's the 20,000 and 40,000 experience varieties and it's one use for 3 hours or until experience bonus is achieved.

3 hours is more than enough time to milk the cap at a leisurely pace.

I always use the manual as my eyes bleed from the lack of progress and this gives the illusion that the bar's moving.
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
    Illithar likes this.
  6. Casamyr

Casamyr Member

This is pretty much how I use the leve system. I use it on my gathering/trade classes. I've found there are plenty of quests to work with combat classes
  7. Kolossus

Kolossus Active Member

I'm sorry that you find one of the most efficient ways of gaining experience points for gathering classes to be pointless and a waste.

To the OP, nice video. I know I am very, very much in the minority when it comes to enjoying the gathering grind, however, I have been starting to use leves occasionally and it definitely speeds the leveling process up. Other contributing factors to speeding up gathering exp are food at all times(if you're planning on gathering for 20 minutes or more, an keeping your gear as up to date as possible. Missing swings because your gear is junk is only hurting yourself. And HQ mats gathered net much more exp than NQ.

Try not to mind the people that enjoy trolling useful, positive threads.
    Luko likes this.
  8. Axos

Axos Member

The way that I do gathering is only when waiting for AK runs and stuff. I can't use the food because I save it for the dungeons and do it in between wait times. It isn't really as bad as people say while waiting to do something better.
  9. pipes676

pipes676 New Member

I've been focusing on the area achievements for botany. Have Black Shroud 1-4 and Thanalan 1-4 completed and i'm at lvl 39. I'll be able to knock out La Noscea 1-4 tonight and start working on the 4,000 items 41-50 in all three areas. Hoping to have the achievement axe in a couple of days.
  10. jemsmck

jemsmck Member

I use Botany to get what I need for my Carpenter. The levels of these two classes stay mostly the same. I chop enough wood to get through the next tier of crafting logs, unlock next tier, chop the next tier set of wood, wash, rinse repeat....
  11. Legwen

Legwen Well Known Member

I did a few leve's, but.... you dont get any materials out of it. The whole point of leveling up my botany is for my culinarian, and for selling mats. If i do leve's to level up, i cant do any of that? So yeah i could level up super quick by that route. But i'd spend more money doing it, spend more time going back and refarming mats, lose money from not having those items to sell, and use up leve's i could use in better ways, like leveling a trade class. I'll save rested exp for botany, do leve's for trades, and use my armory bonus's for alt classes.
  12. Aboji

Aboji New Member

Thanks for the reply and the advice. I am new to making videos so the ignoring trolling is something I will have to work on.

Also thanks for all the other replies to the thread!
  13. Kolossus

Kolossus Active Member

I subscribed to your channel. I actually enjoyed the way you made all of your videos. Keep up the good work. ^^
  14. Eossian

Eossian Member

i prefer grinding gathering classes normally because you'll get items you can sell for money on the market, where as leve's dont give you that. it's good to do leve's here and there to boost you through various levels, but it's really good to just farm items for exp as you'll make a nice bit of gil and help fuel your servers crafters.
    Legwen likes this.
  15. Aboji

Aboji New Member

This is very true. It is probably the biggest con when it comes to gathering leves. But I find that if you just level one level from a block (31~36), you will get more than enough resources. Unfortunately, I find that many of the items on the market place don't sell well enough (at least on my server) to justify the increase in time. But you are certainly correct overall. Thanks for the comment :D!
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 17, 2013 ---
    Awesome, I really appreciate the subscription. Like I said, I am very new to this. I don't know why I decided to start making videos, but I have been enjoying the process and hopefully, I will get better and better.