So you want to be a Goldsmith?

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Gossamer Isto, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Gossamer Isto

Gossamer Isto Member

To me, every Disciple of the Hand looks like a lot of fun to level to 50, but at the release of A Realm Reborn I'll likely start with Goldsmithing paired with Mining. I've decided to take a look at which obstacles a Goldsmith has to overcome and share my findings with you.

Why level Goldsmithing?

1. Goldsmiths can create the most individual pieces of gear.
    We create items for 73 equipment slots (spread over 19 classes). A close second is Weaver (72) and third Leatherworker (68). This also means there is generally plenty room for multiple Goldsmiths to compete on the markets.

( Source: xivdb.com Phase 3 beta, visualized in: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkadXJVMJCR4dFc1dFdfZ3BMOE0tQ1VwR2N3QnVqZEE#gid=1 )

2. Goldsmithing is extremely easy.
    For almost all the recipes the only other class you require is Miner. There are only a handful of recipes requiring fishing for coral, and a few recipes requiring some farmed mobs, but these can be skipped.

( Source: http://www.xivdb.com/?search/!filters/IlJFQ0lQRVM6UlNSX0dPTERTTUlUSCI= )

3. Goldsmithing is gemerally profitable, at least in the month after the servers open.
    There are several ingots and whetstones that only a Goldsmith can create, but are desired by other classes, being:
    • Lvl 20: Mudstone Whetstone
    • Lvl 23: Silver Ingot
    • Lvl 30: Siltstone Whetstone
    • Lvl 34: Mythril Ingot
    • Lvl 42: Electrum Ingot
    Whetstones are only used by Blacksmiths (and Goldsmiths themselves), but Goldsmithing ingots go into over 200 recipes. This will allow you to easily barter with other crafters for ingredients and gear, or just straight up sell them on the Market Boards.

4. Being able to Repair and Materia Meld jewelry is convenient.
    About 38% of your gear is jewelry. (5 in 13 slots). When you're a Thaumaturge it's extra convenient because you'll always be able to repair your mainhand weapon.

Additionally, Jewelry only has one Materia slot. This means only the first Materia has a 100% chance of succeeding. You can Forbidden Meld up to a max of five Materia, but it becomes increasingly difficult to do so. Your second Materia (meaning your first Forbidden Meld) has a success rate of about 25%, your fifth Materia (your fourth Forbidden Meld) only has about 5%. This means you will waste on avarage about 54 materia melding attempts to get a fully maxed piece of jewelry, or 270 attempts for all 5 jewelry pieces. If you're truly that hardcore player and want perfect jewelry it's probably best to do this at your own leisure. Obviously maxing out your materia melds is a massive Gil sink.

( Source: http://nix80.livejournal.com/22903.html )

So just Mining?
    Yes, and no.

Mining is a must, as you need 662 ores, 35 whetstones and 109 gems just to make everything from the crafting log.

( Source: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0As3pVWz2bGVDdDFnT3l4QTE2c0NoYTFVQy1Kd1ZZM0E#gid=10 , Beta phase 3 )

Additionally you will need an ungodly amount of both fire shards and wind shards.

When you reach mining level 20 you will gain an ability called Nald'thal's Ward, which for 400 Gathering Points will grant you about 25-30 fire shards. Botanists have a similar ability at level 20 called Llymlaen's Ward which will grant 25-30 wind shards. You can either try to sell ingots on the markets and buy wind shards in return, or try to become self sufficient and grind Botanist to 20 instead.

( Source: http://www.ffxivinfo.com/class/miner.php )

How high do I level Miner?
    Ideally all the way to 50 as fast as possible, as it will allow you to more easily obtain ores, more often high quality ores, grant additional attempts per node and additional items per attempt. You'll need to have statistics on your gear high enough to unlock certain perks.

( Source: http://www.disciplesoftheland.com/GuideView.aspx?gid=20 )

Unfortunately the Disciple of the Land classes are extremely boring, so it's probably better to stay slightly ahead with Miner compared to Goldsmith. Looking at the following chart, you can see which level of Mining (y-axis) you will need compared to the Goldsmithing recipes per level (x-axis).
    [​IMG]
    ( Source: Gossamer Isto! :pompus: )

The blue surface is the actual mining level required, but if you flatten/fill all the peaks the orange surface is your practical required mining level. Please note the steep increase of mining required in the last 10 levels: You can make due with mining 35 all the way up to Goldsmith level 40. Then as soon as you hit level 40 you need level 46 mining ingredients!

What about end-game?
    This is the point where most people will get disappointed. All crafted equipment for endgame isn't all that good. Dungeon and raid gear will quickly surpass all types of crafted gear, at least for Disciples of War and Magic. Endgame crafted equipment should be considered a stepping stone to get you up to speed for dungeons, or to quickly help you fill in a slot where you haven't been too lucky with drops.

There are some exceptions when it comes to endgame gear for Disciples of the Hand and Land, but you'll have reached a point by then that you're trying to squeeze in a few single points of gathering/perception or craftsmanship/control at the cost of thousands and thousands of Gil.

Conclusion
    This advice is the same for all other DoL/H: For those who enjoy the activity of gathering and crafting: you should definitly try Goldsmithing, maybe even as your starter crafting class. If you're able to rush to level 50 in the first few months you'll even stand to earn a small fortune that will likely last you your entire FFXIV career. Be aware though that this can take several weeks of fulltime work to reach this goal, even when powering through.

If you enjoy crafting as a hobby on the side, you can safely try any craft up to level 17. You can purchase all required ingredients from your guild vendor and only stand to lose a few thousand Gil in the proces (and gain some low level gear). If you still like it after level 17, you could consider picking up that Gathering job and spend some time being an artisan.

If you just wish to have good level 50 gear: don't bother with crafting. There are currently no stat related perks to levelling a craft, and if you're focussed on playing a battle oriented character you will likely be able to purchase your level 50 needs from the Market Boards or your Grand Company vendor.
  2. Ggrab

Ggrab Member

thank you for this im planning on lvling goldsmith & mining & this info helped me

but i have to disagree with you about end-game because your forgeting one thing.
    Which is the materia system & how it will effect endgame crafting in more then one way.
    the whole materia system turns every single equipment we craft into consumables , so the basic jewlery we craft with Electrum Ingot will have a steady market. A lvl50 player will buy them at a consumable rates ( similar to potions & food ) because it how we earn our lvl50 materia.

the same thing can be said about all the other crafts
  3. Gossamer Isto

Gossamer Isto Member

Alas, this is not the case. Let me quote a part of a Lodestone post:

3. Materia Slots in FFXIV: ARR
    In FFXIV: ARR, materia can only be used on gear that contains materia slots, each of which can be affixed with materia without failure. Attempting to use more materia than the slots on a piece of gear is referred to as advanced materia melding.

Dungeon and Raid gear do not have Materia slots. To compensate for this they have vastly increased stats on them (and a higher itemlevel). You won't be able to tweak this gear to your personal taste with Materia.

Basically you can only use Materia on crafted and some quest gear. At level 50 there's some green (uncommon?) quality gear that you can craft like Rosegold Earrings, which has slightly higher itemlevel and materia slots, but dungeon/raid gear is still better.

As stated, crafted gear will stay relevant for Disciples of the Hand, and especially for Disciples of the Land. You'll want to try and max your primary stats (STR, DEX, INT, etc) and your elemental resistances in order to maximize your gathering yield.
  4. Ggrab

Ggrab Member

No where on that link it say dungeon & raid gear won't have materia slots. It won't be like in v1.0 where we could add materia on whatever equipment we wanted , the gear has to have the slots similar to gem sockets in wow.

Just think about it for a min why wouldn't they let us add materia on endgame armor it just common sense.

Well my whole point on how the materia market changes the crafting endgame market is that In order to earn that materia we have to buy lvl50 armor at a Consumable rate so lvl50 crafters will have a steady income
  5. ancientdeity

ancientdeity Member

Very awesome thread, completely agree with everything about mining. Getting in the habit of buying food for gathering does wonders, 3% extra experience gain might not seem like much but coupled with other gains like gathering 6% or perception 6% really helps in the long run. Getting crits will ultimately level you up the fastest, to actually get a chance at successful strikes you want to keep upgrading gear for gathering.
  6. The47thSen

The47thSen Well Known Member

Goldsmiths can also make spectacles (head gear) though I forget for which class. I think it was for the Alchemists.
  7. Rohirrim4

Rohirrim4 Member

well, if dungeon gear is better than crafted and also does not need materia, then why on earth someone will level a profession? I am so disappointed reading this now :( I have all crafting classes to level 20 atm..all of them! and my main char is level 22. But I see no point continue doing it after this...Because what we will do at the end game? Dungeons and raids..the only profs that will may be usefull is Alchemist and Cooking for their consumables

how often do you think people will change gear in max level? Even if some gear have 1-2 materia slots then I don't see how this will turn the endgame crafting into steady profit..people will just convert their old piece of armor and this will be enough to slot materia to the new..
    ancientdeity likes this.
  8. ancientdeity

ancientdeity Member

One reason, Relic quest. A part of the Relic weapon quest consists of either making or buying a particular weapon for the job you play. For some people this early in the game it might be easier just crafting your own since mats for them require a rare spawning world mat darksteel nugget, spruce lumber, or enchanted gold ink etc. The other part of the recipe will require to run a level 50 dungeon where the other mats drop. Here's an awesome link for a reference, its the best around at the moment and my hats off to Rogue Muse for posting it.
    http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/71222-A-Relic-Reborn-Walkthrough
  9. Fuin

Fuin Member

Wh
    Where would one find this food for extra xp? :)
    ancientdeity likes this.
  10. ancientdeity

ancientdeity Member

The are food vendors in all three major cities, i believe they're called Independent Culinary's or something like that. Just look around the vendor area of any city.
    Fuin likes this.
  11. Fuin

Fuin Member

Thx!
    ancientdeity likes this.
  12. ancientdeity

ancientdeity Member

Np at all. ^^
  13. The47thSen

The47thSen Well Known Member

14. ilmaestro

ilmaestro Well Known Member

That is sweet as all heck!
  15. Euriko

Euriko Active Member

So which of that is crafted? I haven't crafted any gear and don't know what color the equip box is.
  16. Gossamer Isto

Gossamer Isto Member

Everything is crafted except for the mainhand, which can be obtained through questing or achievements.
  17. Fuin

Fuin Member

Ok so it's like jewellery put onto gear?
    Or do I get it wrong? :)
  18. Gossamer Isto

Gossamer Isto Member

Goldsmithing makes Thaumaturge Weapons, Earrings, Necklaces, Rings and Bracelets and some headpieces.

The Goldsmith "Artifact" gear that @Euriko is referring to is crafted by different classes, mostly Goldsmith, Leatherworker and Weaver.

You can socket Materia into gear. Around level 19 you learn to convert 100% spiritbound equipment int Materia. A crafter with a high enough level can then socket your equipment with these materia pieces.
    Fuin likes this.
  19. Fuin

Fuin Member

Ok thanks a lot for the info! :)
    Seems I still have much to learn about this game.
  20. Z.chu

Z.chu Active Member

I am considering working on goldsmithing first. It is really a hard choice though! Me can has Mythril Ruby necklace :playful: