Realm News Update 2.0 Preview

Discussion in 'The Realm Noticeboard' started by Fybrile, Feb 9, 2015.

?

If the Realm had a dark theme, would you be interested in using it?

1. If we had a dark theme, I'd definitely use it.

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  2. If we had a dark theme, I'd definitely check it out.

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  3. I don't usually take the time to check out different themes.

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  4. I don't like dark themes.

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  5. Realm Original 4 Life!!!

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. Fybrile

Fybrile Administrator

Server:
    Cactaur
    I know many of you are going to be coming into this thread thinking: "Dude, 2.0 was soooo last year." And you're right. But, this isn't about FFXIV 2.0. This is for FFXIVRealm 2.0!!! So, if you're interested in getting a bit of a sneak peak at what we have in store for the 2nd of our 3 major updates to the site, read on!

We've pragmatically titled 2.0: "Site Style and Structure" (our localization team here at the Realm - read: me - isn't so great at creative titling). By far and large, the biggest changes to the site will be aesthetic in nature, with the introduction of three brand new, hand-crafted, selectable themes. Each theme has been styled after one of the three currently-playable city states, so those of us flag-waving, chocobo-riding, tree-speaking Twin Adders can show our love here on the Realm. Two of the themes will be dark, and one light, so those in our community who had trouble staring at a radiantly-white screen for hours on end should find respite just around the corner.

If it turns out people like the option of choosing their own theme at the Realm, we also have plans for adding 3 additional themes shortly after the release of 2.0 (we're currently bouncing around the ideas for having Garlean, Ishgardian and Aetheryte themes).

Well, hey there Joe Killjoy! Love the traditional look of the Realm? So do I! Fear not, you Realmer purist you, the current theme will still be selectable and updated with each successive update, and it will still load as the default theme for guests and new members. Yes, it's essentially us needing to code each update twice, but that's just how much we love the Realm!

There's also a whole lot of new goodies besides the new themes. Don't want to spoil it too much, so...

2.0 New Goodies (open)

1. New trophies. I mean, a %^& ton of new trophies. And maybe something to do with all those points.*
    2. A trial run of a Realm VoIP server
    3. More off-site links.
    4. Completely overhauled navigation, sidebar, the works.
    5. "Friends"
    6. Relaunch of the Realm Wiki & Media pages.
    7. Some love for the FCs
    8. Some love for the contributors around the site
    9. Moogles

** We will be adjusting trophy points with the new patch. Essentially, items that were work 5,10,25, or 50 points will instead be worth 1,2,3,4, etc. points. This is a necessary adjustment to work towards making your points here at the Realm actually worth something. We apologize to our users who like large numbers, and can only assure you that our points leaders will still be our points leaders after the adjustments.

Well, back to work for me. Lots of stuff to get done between now and launch of 2.0 (we're pushing for around the release of FFXIV 2.5.1) I hope that you're all as excited to check out the update as I am to hear your feedback and merciless criticisms!~

:smoke:

2. Caimie Tsukino

Caimie Tsukino Realm Scribe

Server:
    Zalera
    I'll be checking the dark theme not because I like dark theme more than light theme, but because a white background with black text always gets my eyes tired easily. My gmail is actually on a "dark theme" where the background is black while the text is white. I feel pretty comfortable with it. For things like Microsoft Word or Excel, it's kinda inconvenient to use a black background, because if you receive a document from other people, and the person set the text to "black" instead of auto-color, then you'll just see pitch black on the screen when the black text is on black background. So nowadays, I actually use a light grey background with very dark blue text. It helps a lot to reduce eye stress. I did it in the "Windows Color" setting in the Display section in the Control Panel . So it automatically appears in all the programs like Word, Excel or Notepad.

Anyway, I'm almost positive I'll check out the dark theme when it's available, and probably will use it. I very much look forward to this.

3. GeekMatt

GeekMatt Moderator

Server:
    Brynhildr
    I went with a darker theme for the FC website and forum because it's easier on the eyes for those of us who stay up late in bed at night surfing our favourite forums in the dark trying to catch up. And also because the website wasn't meant to reel in new members, it serves more the purpose of being a hub for an already established group of people. IMO a dark theme is more practical but a light theme will be more attractive to passerbys, appearing more clean, slick and professional. So I certainly agree with keeping the current theme, or one like it as the standard, while offering alternatives.

:good:

JMATAWWCL likes this.
  4. Brash Torque

Brash Torque Loremaster

Server:
    Brynhildr
    The upcoming additions all sound good and spending most of my time in Photoshop and Illustrator I can certainly appreciate and "easy on the eyes" dark theme. Are there any plans for beta roll outs of the themes or is it more a matter of we'll see it when we see it? I just wanna fly my colors. Twin Adder fo lyfe! XD

Fybrile and GeekMatt like this.
  5. JMATAWWCL

JMATAWWCL Moderator

Server:
    Mateus
    I loved the original dark theme Realm had many moons ago (as an alternate), but that damned @Vamped went and killed it mercilessly.. Oh wait, he can see this and I tagged him? Whoops......

Jinzuku likes this.
  6. Fybrile

Fybrile Administrator

Server:
    Cactaur
    Maybe I'll drop a SS here later today to spoil it a bit, but plans are for the new themes to just be all dropped at once.

7. ilmaestro

ilmaestro Crystal Brave

Asking me if I would use a "dark theme" sounds like asking me if I think geocities homepages from 1996 were the height of web design.

MasterBox likes this.
  8. Fybrile

Fybrile Administrator

Server:
    Cactaur
    Picture1.png

Keep in mind, this is just a work in progress. This is a really narrow peak at the Ul'Dah theme. Comments & suggestions are appreciated.

*** EDIT: I've changed the original picture with a more up-to-date one 03.18.2015 ***

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
    JMATAWWCL, MasterBox and GeekMatt like this.
  9. JMATAWWCL

JMATAWWCL Moderator

Server:
    Mateus
    Love the theme! Much easier on the eyes!

Fybrile likes this.
  10. Fybrile

Fybrile Administrator

Server:
    Cactaur
    I'm hitting myself for choosing a really boring area to SS for you guys. Anyways, we finally set a date for the FFXIVRealm 2.0 update, which will be March 20th. More spoilers, news and screenshots shortly to follow! Seriously, it's huge. The bullet point list of upcoming changes hit the character limit for a post!

MasterBox likes this.
  11. Fybrile

Fybrile Administrator

Server:
    Cactaur
    Well, we've finally set the date of release of FFXIVRealm 2.0 to March 21st.

This thing just kept snowballing on us, growing from its original purpose (which was to simply add a few new themes and aesthetic fixes), to encompassing much of what we had planned for 2.1. Eventually, we just had to pick a day and stick with it, and what got in was in, what didn't will have to wait. I've been unsuccessfully trying to tease the community about this update for a while to try to generate a bit of curiosity. Alas, it appears Realmers these days aren't ones for much speculation. Or, perhaps I'm just losing my ability to troll. Regardless, without further ceremony here's a semi-complete list of what you can look forward to in a few days' time:

1. Gridania, Ul'dah & Limsa Lominsa Themes
    2. Revamp of the Guides Page to add a number of new features and a cleaner index
    3. Introduction of a Free Companies Social Groups, an FC Index Page and FC Areas
    4. Introduction of Friends
    5. Overhaul of the Realm's Trophies (over 100 new trophies are planned)
    6. Pilot of a Realm Mumble VoIP service
    7. User Banners
    8. Competitions

And, of course, about a hundred other smaller new features and fixes around the site that we'll leave for you all to discover once the Realm 2.0 goes live. In order to apply all of these changes, our development team (read: me, a pack of cigarettes and a few cups of coffee) is going to need to take the site offline from around 9:00pm EST, Saturday, March 20th. They won't be back online until likely 12:00pm EST, Sunday, March 21st. We apologize for the inconvenience, and will work tirelessly to get the site back up ahead of schedule.

When the site does come back online, we'll also be kicking off Realm Leves competitions (name subject to change... Realm Hests? RATEs?) immediately, so those of you competitive types out there, make sure to check out the Realm Sunday evening to get a head start!

Well, time to get ready. Please look forward to it!

... please?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  12. MasterBox

MasterBox Scion

Server:
    Behemoth
    I actually am..

#6. Sound really interesting.
    Can't wait to check it out.

Jinzuku and Fybrile like this.
  13. ilmaestro

ilmaestro Crystal Brave