Adds = please no

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions & Feedback' started by June, Apr 24, 2015.

1. June

June Adventurer

Server:
    Leviathan
    http://puu.sh/hoZpc/0ba2328cb6.jpg

This should explain exactly why I hate adds, I get you may need money to run the site but this place feels like It has such a large community, why not let the members pay and donate to that instead of promoting THIS ^ to so many new players who won't know better.

2. Jinzuku

Jinzuku Vice Administrator

Server:
    Phoenix
    We don't get to choose the adverts that are displayed therefore can't control which ones show up. You do have the option on adverts to click the X in the top right corner to say it's not relevant to you and that'll stop you seeing similar adverts. If I remember right, the adverts are controlled by a third party site (I want to say Google but not sure) which shows you adverts based on your browsing preferences.

It's a good idea to give members the option to donate to the realm and it'll allow us to do more for the site. It's something worth suggesting to @Fybrile so he can ask the powers that be.

We apologise for the gil buying advert but simply turning off adverts would just mean the site wouldn't be able to survive and would have to be closed (which no one wants). We had them down temporarily due to site upgrades.

PrincessNewb and Fybrile like this.
  3. Contraband

Contraband Adventurer

I think it also depends on how heavy server costs are. This site seems to have relatively heavy traffic so it might be high and pure donations won't be sustainable.
    If the owners are willing they could try experimenting with donations + reduced ads or go with a patreon style where if enough people pledge it can be taken out all together.

Jinzuku likes this.
  4. Jinzuku

Jinzuku Vice Administrator

Server:
    Phoenix
    Exactly. I doubt donations alone would sustain the site. As far as I know we break-even with ad revenue just being enough to cover costs of the site.

The only thing that could possibly replace adverts is to have one of those "VIP" systems where if you subscribe to the realm you get benefits. I personally wouldn't want to do that as it's a cheap tactic and think adverts are a small price to pay not to have it.

Besides I never look at adverts on sites, couldn't even tell you what the last advert even said. It's like the vegetarian section of a menu, I don't even acknowledge its existence.

JMATAWWCL, Maaja, Fybrile and 4 others like this.
  5. delta5ff

delta5ff Scion

WHAT! They actually do a vegetarian section? :dizzy:

GeekMatt, Jinzuku and praysolace like this.
  6. Fybrile

Fybrile Administrator

Server:
    Cactaur
    Just some quick research to try to reply objectively.

Ads on other FFXIV sites & related sites:

1. Reddit - 2 (banner at the top masked as a thread and a medium sidebar ad).
    2. Gamer Escape - 3 (banner at the top & bottom and a large sidebar ad).
    3. Bluegartr - 1 (banner at the top)
    4. XIVDB - 3 (banner in the header - eww! - at the bottom and a large sidebar ad which also begins in the header - ewwwwww!).
    5. The FFXIV Facebook Page - 2 (fake post & a small sidebar ad)

Jinzuku likes this.
: add fail, adds, evil