Advice on setting up the gamepad controls

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord Tristem, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Lord Tristem

Lord Tristem Crystal Brave

Server:
    Lamia
    So I've decided I want to give the gamepad a shot over the keyboard and mouse. This is due to the fact I have problems with one of my shoulders and using the mouse for prolong periods of time makes it hurt. I don't have that problem with the gamepad so I want to see if I can get into using it more.

So I wanted to know if any of you had any advice on how to set it up and what a good button configuration might be. Thanks in advance.

2. praysolace

praysolace Warrior of Light

Server:
    Brynhildr
    ...The default one?

3. Bizant

Bizant Scion

Server:
    Brynhildr
    In contrast to Mr. Solace, here's a story.

A couple of months ago, my character configuration file got corrupted (as they've been known to do occasionally), which means, amongst other things, my controller setup got wiped. I still haven't managed to get everything back to normal.

In other words, my control scheme is insane. My sticks are swapped, my axes are inverted, my buttons are weird, my camera angle's bonkers, it's all over the place.

So that's a long-winded way of saying that I recommend you start with the default and then tweak things whenever they feel awkward. I guess there are a couple of specific cross-bar recommendations I could give.
    • Make use of the combination cross-bar or whatever they call it. The one where you hold both triggers simultaneously to bring up a new group of abilities. Super useful to make sure you don't have to cycle through too many separate cross-bars.
    • If you use that combination cross-bar, make sure it's not shared between your classes. For example, I find it useful to have pet actions on that combination cross-bar for SCH, but obviously I want to use it for DRG abilities when I'm playing, y'know, DRG.
    • You may or may not know that you can select a different set of cross-bars to be available when you have your weapon drawn and sheathed. Very useful. Have your 'social' actions like hilarious emote macros, teleports, and mounts on a cross bar that's only available when your weapon is sheathed.
    • If your job has combo attacks, try to keep all the attacks in that combo on the same cross-bar tab, i.e. make sure you don't have to cycle cross-bars to finish your combo. It's not a disaster if you don't make that happen, but it's convenient to be cycling less.
    Can't think of anything else.

4. praysolace

praysolace Warrior of Light

Server:
    Brynhildr
    That's not stuff I'd consider button configuration. I was confused because when I hear people talking about button configuration it's for games that don't have native gamepad support, like GW2. To figure out what button will be mapped to what keystroke. Which is really not a concern at all with XIV.

5. Bizant

Bizant Scion

Server:
    Brynhildr
    Oh I gotcha. Yeah, he might have meant that. I found it to be no easy task to get everything laid out conveniently on the gamepad, so I'm assuming he's just talking about sensible configurations in game.

: gamepad