Beginner needs help on ranged

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Romez, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Romez

Romez Adventurer

Hello,
    So i am a complete beginner, I just got the game yesterday. When i was browsing through the jobs and classes (which i am still trying to comprehend, yes i can be not the sharpest tool in the shed on occasion) the two that kind of jumped out at me was the black mage and the archer. Both of those classes seemed like the most fun to me. Now i understand the black mage is a job but if i do get that job, can i switch to playing the archer as well later on or once that archer is used for the pre req for the black mage i wont be able to access him and play him separately? Also what is the best race, and guardian combination for a black mage, i know some people said that it does not matter but some said that it does matter so any help on that is welcome? Also any general tips, where to play or how to play are always welcome as well. thank you

2. Zheri

Zheri Crystal Brave

Server:
    Brynhildr
    Now i understand the black mage is a job but if i do get that job, can i switch to playing the archer as well later on or once that archer is used for the pre req for the black mage i wont be able to access him and play him separately?
    Yes. Any character can play any class and job they have unlocked just by switching your weapon or equipping/unequipping your job stone.

Also what is the best race, and guardian combination for a black mage, i know some people said that it does not matter but some said that it does matter so any help on that is welcome?
    Black Mage is the one special case where your starting race matters. The short version is that both your starting Int and Piety are important making Dunesfolk Lalafel and Wildwood Elezen the best races with Midlander Hyur, Dunswight Elezen, Moon Keeper Miquo'to and Plainsfolk Lalas all being good choices as well. If you want a Roegadyn, Hellsguard is decent. I would advise against picking a Highlander Hyur or Sea Wolf Roegadyn.

Also any general tips, where to play or how to play are always welcome as well. thank you
    Level Goldsmithing as you go. You'll be able to craft all the accessories you need and there will always be a high demand for the level 45-50 jewelry so you can make decent money.

3. Romez

Romez Adventurer

I went with Moon Keeper Miquo'to, so I guess i made the right decision or should i switch to dunesfolk or wildwood then?

4. Zheri

Zheri Crystal Brave

Server:
    Brynhildr
    If you are a really really hardcore min/max'er, Wildwoods also have the highest starting Dex making them the best Archer/Bard along with being tied for the best BLM. Really though, the difference is so small that you'd never notice it. Stick with Moon Keeper unless you want to change for aesthetic reasons.

5. Romez

Romez Adventurer

Hey, Yea..I wanted to run Bard/BLM so i guess i might do the switch then, how do the moon keeper miquoto do as bards are they alright or no? and at what level should i start leveling the goldsmithing?

6. GenRiur

GenRiur Crystal Brave

Play which ever race you like best, the differences end up minimal and no one in the game will be biased on race when it comes to groups.

7. Romez

Romez Adventurer

Really, so its not going to matter?

8. Jedrek

Jedrek Crystal Brave

Really. One of the best Tanks I know is a lalafell. Can you imagine? Haha so nah it doesn't matter. :)

9. Romez

Romez Adventurer

Hm alright sounds good, thank you very much for the info

Jedrek likes this.
  10. GenRiur

GenRiur Crystal Brave

Lallafel Warrior/Monk represent!

Jedrek likes this.
  11. Romez

Romez Adventurer

Haha awesome lol

12. Zheri

Zheri Crystal Brave

Server:
    Brynhildr
    It does and it doesn't. Picking the worst race for a particular class leaves you 6 mainstat points behind someone who picked the best, or roughly 1 Darklight --> Mythology accessory upgrade. In the case of BLM, though, it's either an 8 point difference or replacing one BiS ring with an expensive crafted and overmelded ring that is still worse than the coil drop. Of course, this only really matters if you are doing progression raiding and 6-8 stat points are not a substitution for knowing how to play your class and properly execute fight mechanics.

13. Romez

Romez Adventurer

In that case for Bard/BLM will moon keeper be fine or should change it to the other one?

14. Jedrek

Jedrek Crystal Brave

which is why to me it didn't matter. Lulz I didn't even notice and wouldn't notice the difference until you mentioned it. Yet it should not be a deciding factor when it comes to choosing one's race. :)

15. Zheri

Zheri Crystal Brave

Server:
    Brynhildr
    Moon Keeper is perfectly fine. Like I said, the only reason to change would be if you preferred the look of another race.

And to asnwer your previous question I seemed to miss... The best way to go about crafting is to level everything to 15 to start with. That will get you the cross class skills you need to make your life a lot easier. After that, try to keep your Goldsmith level about the same as your main class.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  16. Romez

Romez Adventurer

Hm alright thank you very much

17. GenRiur

GenRiur Crystal Brave

keeper of the moon is absolutely fine but if you are really worried about a Minor amount of stat points then Wildwood Elezen would be the best choice for BLM/BRD(i think). But take it from me, I picked a Dunesfolk Lallafel which has the lowest STR and VIT in the game for a WAR and MNK when you have over 430 points of your main stat you dont really miss 6 all that much.

18. Romez

Romez Adventurer

thank you for all of the input

19. Comrade Questions

Comrade Questions Adventurer

Hey Romez,

As others have stated, race just doesn't matter too much aside from aesthetics, even when you get to end-game content, it is far more important that you understand whatever role you're playing, make sure you have the correct gear for the dungeon/fight, etc, then it is to have a specific race. Truth is I barely even notice what other people's races are since I play zoomed out most of the time. Take archer for example, where DEX is the main in-game stat you care about; picking a different race will be the difference of say 3 points of dex give or take. By end-game, you'll have around 150 DEX points (guesstimating as I'm not home), plus all your gear with DEX bonuses equaling over 200 DEX, those 3-5 points won't really matter.

Really though the deciding factor will be how much time you want to put in to specific classes. For example, as an archer, you'll wind up putting time into pugilist and lancer for your bard classification (as a bard, you can use skills from either pugilist or lancer). Again, not a huge deciding factor since it's not THAT important, just to get them to say lvl 15 and you should be good (I barely have either to 20); there are some on occasion who freak out if you play different from "their" preferred method, for example as a Bard I don't have blood for blood, a Lancer skill you get later on, but I haven't seen where it would be THAT useful (yeah, try using it on Titan HM, receiving an extra 25% damage sounds like a great idea...).

I'd say quick thinking, followed by quick reflexes, are the most important factors when you get to the hard end-game stuff, followed by appropriate gear, but even that's not a deciding factor in all scenarios.

Most important, play and have fun!

20. FFADD

FFADD Adventurer

I'd say quick thinking, followed by quick reflexes, are the most important factors when you get to the hard end-game stuff, followed by appropriate gear, but even that's not a deciding factor in all scenarios.

Most important, play and have fun![/quote]

YES! And it IS a fun game, and listening to all the new stuff they're planning it's only going to get better and better.

I know this is a late response, but it's for anyone coming along later as they start their game or make changes now that Fantasia is finally available for sale.

At endgame people are glancing at your gear stats and not paying all that much attention to much else. If you've gotten that far you're probably doing okay...unless you're a tank.

Tanks (still hard to find in many cases) are pretty much getting carried by the game and growing increasingly obnoxious because everyone kisses their backsides if they're anything approaching mediocre. Power really does corrupt!

They often don't know the most simple mechanics even as fresh 50's and are being paid tons of gil in bonuses just for showing up ...to the point that they will be complete jerks in parties (to cover up how inept they are) and just dare people to vote them out because they know it will take forever to replace them via duty finder. I AM SO GLAD people can do their dailies via FC parties now. Some of those jerks are finally going to have to learn how to do their jobs...I mean really hard things like pointing single mobs away from the healer and even (gasp) DODGING sometimes! They may even have to learn how to handle aoe hate by level 50! ^^ Yes, of course many tanks are very good and very nice, and every job has dipsticks. Just had to be a goof. Have fun!