Commendations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by racooperii, Dec 20, 2013.

1. cinequoinon

cinequoinon Crystal Brave

Of course not.

You can always give it to no one at all.

2. Zankes

Zankes Adventurer

You did the right thing not giving him anything. People often forget the time when they were noobs, so clowns like that deserve nothing, because it's rude to bash other players, because they did not perform so well for some reason or another.

Pearl likes this.
  3. Lucis Ferah

Lucis Ferah New Member

Admittedly, I am a noob.
    Im barely level 20 with my starting class and I'm not a Veteran of MMO's
    I do however understand the requirements that are expected of me in my chosen role. I Tank a lot, but I'm quite timid with commanding and barking out battle orders, so all I do is ask if its a speed run or not, how theylike to do it, and adapt with it.
    Somehow, I'm doing alright, but whenever I make a mistake it weighs heavily on me. Thats why my commendations always go to the player who supports me the most. Not just in terms of Healer and DPS, but also in terms of strategy, working the system and finessing the kinks of my class.
    Theres been a couple of incidents where the odd player who looks down on me as a newbie and assumes I dont know what I'm doing, rushes ahead, aggroing all the enemies and screwing the entire party over, and even though I tried to DO something, I still get the blame. They, in turn, recieve a douchy response from me xD
    But no, its the players who see me as a noob, which I am, and instead give me tips to improve my game, but also put me in situations where I can take what I've been advised on and apply it. They get my commendations

4. That's right it's Molls

That's right it's Molls Crystal Brave

Lately in Frontlines, I only give commendations to healers. Nobody likes to play as healer in there.

5. Joygasm Ironfist

Joygasm Ironfist Crystal Brave

Which is a shame, because White Mage is fun as hell.

6. racooperii

racooperii Warrior of Light

Server:
    Brynhildr
    I forgot about this thread...

I haven't really DF'd for anything in months so no real commendations have been passed out by me.

7. Shiroe Shirogane

Shiroe Shirogane Crystal Brave

I know in Wolf's Den, I spend 99% of my time running around in a circle trying to dodge DPS and Tanks. Normally it's 3 on 1. It's not really fun, that's for sure. I do occasionally get to toss DOT's on people and drain their health, but that's it. Depends on the fight, and if it's a 1 on 1, 2 on 1, or a 3 on 1.

8. That's right it's Molls

That's right it's Molls Crystal Brave

I understand why people don't like it. But when your party is 5 DPS, and 3 tanks, you're gonna lose. I bite the bullet and play healer in that scenario, but I'm usually the only one. With 1 healer, 4 dps, and 3 tanks, you're still gonna lose. Every party in frontlines needs at least 2 healers.

9. Comrade Questions

Comrade Questions Adventurer

Yeah healers deserve all the commendations in Frontlines IMO. I suuuuuuck at healing, but sooo many damn groups I've had usually consist of the following: 1 War, 1 PLD, 4 Bards, 1 BLM. I'm usually either a Bard or a PLD. And I can kick ass on either of those, and my healing score is atrocious (like 15k healing if I have to do it, really just terribad). But without any heals and buffs, the parties going to lose.

There are sooo many damn Bards in frontlines, and they all suck at it too. This is why they should've had meters built into the game, because 90% of the time these terrible players don't even realize how much they suck (while I'm a good player, I shouldn't be beating your DPS by over 100 on the same class), but Frontlines show's how much damage they're doing (albeit somewhat inconsistently depending on how many battles they get into). But I see so many DPS with like 25k damage for entire match, and I just think, dude, go tank if you're going to do that. Seriously, I average over 30k as PLD in Shield Oath, I have no idea what these people are doing on DPS to get it so low.

Anyways, rant over, need moar healers, less terrible DPS. And on the topic of commendations, I do pull up meters, and if a DPS is doing good DPS, I'm far more likely to give them commendations, just the way I do it.

The worst part is, I can't even mention if someone's DPS is low because they 'aren't allowed', so I can't even offer tips or anything unless I see something obviously bad like not putting up DoTs and stuff.

10. Shiroe Shirogane

Yea I haven't tried FL yet since I'm getting my rank up and learning what works for me in wolfs den.

11. Skylock

Skylock Crystal Brave

Server:
    Gilgamesh
    Whenever I get a good Paladin, they automatically get my commendation. Otherwise, I tend to give it to the healer.

12. Miyuu

Miyuu Adventurer

For now I give mine either to heal or tank, but only because I mostly to normal dungeons and playing with a friend who is also a DPS. I have otherwise no preference for a class, but as a DPS I agree that I rarely get commendations (or maybe I'm just not good enough), whereas when I do duties to level up my healer I often get one.

However there are my criteria:
    - If someone is new to the dungeon I would give it to the player who helped the newbies the most. I always read about dungeons and trial before going in, but understand that a lot of people don't. Or sometimes what you read is not very helpful for your class/job.
    - If one of the player saves us from a difficult situation or a potential wipe I would give my vote.
    - Friendly players get my vote. I know we don't have time for chatting much but just saying hello, asking if everyone is ready, then saying thanks at the end and goodbye should be a habit for everyone.
    - Further than that I appreciate people who do not loot everything and anything. I only roll need if I absolutely need the item, and greed if it could be useful for me in the near future. People who greed on everything are less likely to get my vote.
    - If any one the player rushes in without waiting for the others he/she doesn't get my vote. I had seen tanks going on ahead the rest of the party and putting himself and all of us in danger because he/she didn't think someone could have been typing or changing gear. I say tank but it's not just them obviously.
    - Same with a healer that only heals the tank (I have seen it). As a range DPS if I get in danger I tend to blame myself because I should be able to stay away from the aggro. But melee DPS can take a lot of damages through no fault of their own, and I had seen healer concentrating so much on the tank they didn't see the rest of the party needed help.

That's about it, those are the big "principles" I set to myself. I try to be as understanding and flexible as I can, because we never know what the player could be facing when he/she makes a mistake. We all do, we have good and bad runs. I remember one time I got a lot of damage because my cat jumped on the keyboard and my character started moving forward and pulled the boss...... I couldn't find enough apologies and didn't even try to justify myself.

On the plus side sometimes I find it hard to reward just one player :) In that case I tell my friend to commend one and I commend the other. But it also is very difficult to judge. For example I have no tanking experience so I can't really tell if they've done a very good job or just normal.

13. Ostardva

Ostardva Adventurer

Server:
    Cactuar
    My commendations used to go to healers since I tank and they keep me alive. They still do, just not all the time.

I have bad experiences with DPS in latter-game and endgame content, mainly BLMs who are very, very good, but expect everyone else to be and cause problems with enmity, healing and tanking (I'm not pro, and I'm learning a great deal from PLD rotation topics on here).

Due to bad experiences (and the fact I like an active party chat), I tend to give commendations to chatty, nice and helpful players. As a tank I talk quite a lot, not leading, but asking the party how they want things done. Passive tank is tank, I guess. :p

14. Miyuu

Miyuu Adventurer

I think it's a good thing, I'd love to have more tanks like you. I often find tanks who are good and all, but they just go ahead without saying anything or asking for party's opinion. Sure the tanks leads the party, but that doesn't mean he can decide of everything alone and let people guess his intention.

Anyway let's not derive too much from the topic >__>

15. Carbonyl

Carbonyl Crystal Brave

As a bard I almost always give my commendation to the DPS unless they completely suck, mostly because the healers and tanks always get the commendations. Obviously if the run is difficult for whatever reason i would give it to the more deserving party member.

16. Relis

Relis Crystal Brave

Mine always goes to the nicest or most helpful person..period. If no one says a word I usually dont give one. Last DF group I had for example had 2 Bards, one was amazing at DPS and didnt miss a beat with fighting. The other one was a little slow targeting and sometimes trailed behind a little moving..but did good overall. However, the "good" one was very friendly and with exception to the tank saying "kill adds fast" for boss fights was the only one who talked at all besides me. She/he got my commendation. It's actually been awhile since a tank has gotten mine...running into alot of either A) silent/quiet ones or B) jerks. :shifty:

17. Miyuu

Miyuu Adventurer

It's nice to see so many people value politeness and friendly attitudes, but for some reason I never get to parties with those people. I'm not with rude players either thankfully, but most of the time, even if they are good players, no one talks. Not that I want long conversation (wouldn't be possible), but I feel alone when playing with others.... sort of a shame really.

Banana Pancakes and Relis like this.
  18. Relis

Relis Crystal Brave

Thats why I love my FC so much. Everyone is so friendly and chatty! And when possible I try to run dungeons etc with them. :)

19. Maaja

Maaja Moderator

Server:
    Bryn, Siren
    I still stand by my reasoning for giving comms, but I wanted to offer some food for thought. I main WAR. I am on PC and use a controller. Using a controller isn't conducive to being very chatty. However, before boss fights or if I am in a dungeon where people commonly do speed runs, I make sure everyone is on the same page. I just wanted to mention about the controller & many people use them. If I stop to talk, I could lose aggro or stop moving and slow progress, so I tend to be rather quiet. ;)

20. Shiroe Shirogane

It's funny because someone in my FC made a bunch of chat macros just to spit out pre-canned statements during DF's, and he plays Warrior as well.