Fallout 4 announced!

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Lord Tristem, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Tyo Ganajai

Tyo Ganajai Crystal Brave

Server:
    Bryn
    I seriously hope my Walmart has this out when I get off work late Monday night/early Tuesday AM so I don't have to make an excuse to go Tuesday or wait til after work Tuesday.

2. Mycroft

Mycroft Crystal Brave

Server:
    Hyperion
    I'll probably just work all my hours for next week on Monday, so that I might use all of my spare time on Fallout for the rest of the week.

I'm also expecting this thread to fill with various stories, or at least that another thread be created for it.

Lord Tristem and Fybrile like this.
  3. Jinzuku

Jinzuku Vice Administrator

Server:
    Phoenix
    Without a doubt.

I wish I had enough annual leave left to justify taking at least the Tuesday off :cry:

The thing that annoys me that even though the game will mostly be waiting for me when I get home I will still have to wait for the PS4 to download the game to my hard drive and for it to download the additional day one patch. I will probably have to wait an hour or so before I can actually play it :tableflip:

Until then, I've got a live wallpaper on my phone that runs a countdown timer until the release day. :testify:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
    Mycroft and Fybrile like this.
  4. Lord Tristem

Lord Tristem Crystal Brave

Server:
    Lamia
    Oh worry not my friend I'll be sure to cover all the highlights of my run in my picture journal.

Anyway I'm certainly ready for it. I've cleared my entire next Tuesday in preparation for it.

5. Jinzuku

Server:
    Phoenix
    Due to the recent Fallout 4 leak someone was nice enough to make a tool that'll let you spec your character out.

It's actually really useful as a way of knowing how stats and perks will work in Fallout 4.

http://www.rpg-gaming.com/fo4.html

Lord Tristem likes this.
  6. Jinzuku

Server:
    Phoenix
    Fallout 4 Launch Trailer

Fybrile likes this.
  7. Mycroft

Mycroft Crystal Brave

Server:
    Hyperion
    4 days gentlemen and ladies.. 4 measly days.

Lord Tristem and Jinzuku like this.
  8. Fybrile

Fybrile Administrator

Server:
    Cactaur
    Just pre-ordered it today on Steam!

Said the download would be available Nov. 9th. Wasn't the launch day supposed to be the 10th?

Lord Tristem and Jinzuku like this.
  9. Mycroft

Mycroft Crystal Brave

Server:
    Hyperion
    Yup, but Steam often offers 24 hour preloads for AAA games.

Fybrile likes this.
  10. Jinzuku

Server:
    Phoenix
    Well at least it'll be pre-loaded for the release date so you can play it as soon as you want. Wish they did something like that on consoles.

11. Mycroft

Mycroft Crystal Brave

Server:
    Hyperion
    While I don't own any of the current gen consoles (or well, I own a Wii-U, but that is more like a 6,5 gen console), the beauty of consoles would be not needing to install all that much and just loading the disc to start playing. And yes, there are patches and what-not and a few of the larger games do require the installation of some base data to reduce loading times, but the former is avoidable by simply cutting off internet access to the console and the latter is often optional.

12. Jinzuku

Server:
    Phoenix
    Unfortunately it doesn't work like that on PS4 anymore. As soon as you put a game disc in for the first time it starts downloading it to the hard drive. As far as I can tell there is no way to stop it and you can't play the game while it's doing it.

It used to be an optional thing on the previous gen consoles but became mandatory this time round.

13. Lord Tristem

Server:
    Lamia
    Glad to hear I'll be able to download it while I'm in class then and it will be good to go the next day.

I've been debating all morning whether to actually look at this, but what the hell. What does it matter if I find out what the perks are now or in a few days.

14. Jinzuku

Server:
    Phoenix
    Exactly. It's not like it's a spoiler. If anything it'll save you time when you get the game as you'll know where to put your stats straight away

15. Tyo Ganajai

Tyo Ganajai Crystal Brave

Server:
    Bryn
    They do on the Xbox 1. For a while now. It remains locked till the release date but usually upwards of 2 or so weeks prior to release they allow store ordered games to be downloaded. If I had better download speeds I would have gone the digital route with this game just for that reason
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 6, 2015 ---
    The 1 does this now too and I hate it. Worse is that the one doesn't install from disc first it tries to download from the web first thanks to day 1 patches. I had to but the console offline just to get a game installed, then go back online for the patch.

16. Lord Tristem

Server:
    Lamia
    So I've been looking over the perks and I've seen some pros and cons to them.

Pros:
    -Luck is actually useful this time round.
    -Strength has also been greatly improved
    -L10 is one of the most creative perks I've ever seen (Bullets bounce back and instantly kill your enemy, that is AWESOME!)
    -L7 is similarly pretty good being able to have a crit on demand could come in handy for certain builds
    -Love the overhauls to the charisma tree. Probably make being a charismatic character viable again.
    -Idiot Savant makes being a low intelligence character truly viable for the first time ever.
    -Yay Big guns are back with a vengeance.

Cons:
    -No Energy Weapons Perk tree
    -No Shotgun Perk tree
    -Endurance 9 is a huge letdown. I want to be a Ghoul dammit!
    -They overcompensated and Intelligence is really nerfed now
    - V.A.N.S -WHY! why was this added! this is the worst Perk ever! They could have put Energy Weapons here instead, but no!

Jinzuku likes this.
  17. Fybrile

Fybrile Administrator

Server:
    Cactaur
    Survival Mode Beta and the Automatron DLC next week! So excited! :joy:

After completing the game in 400 hours on the original survival mode, and now having taken a couple of months away from it, I can happily declare that Fallout 4 is by far and away my favorite video game of all time - finally taking Final Fantasy VI off its throne. And, I can not WAIT to get back into it!

Lord Tristem likes this.
  18. Lord Tristem

Server:
    Lamia
    Well then Fybrile this one is for you!

Fybrile likes this.
  19. Bobbin Threadbare

Bobbin Threadbare Adventurer

Server:
    Masamune
    haha... sorry bringing this old topic up again... ;)

Quite recently I bought the GotY version and finished all the way to expansions. Before I played FO3, and while I do really love it, I never got to finish the main story, though I did finish the 1st 2 DLCs, got hooked up so much with exploration and so many to do. So I guess F)4 is the 1st in FO series that I actually finished. And boy, unlike what many says, this game really improves over FO3 in many ways. Never though this apocalypse could be so beautiful.

However, the down side is that this game still would tax heavily on hardware resources. For example, I've been using this transfer settlement mod that let's you easily export & import your settlement builds, and I've using this to import settlements for quick play, because I kinda suck at these building stuff. Don't get me wrong, I did spend hours making my 1st settlement build on my own and running, but had to scrap it in the end after found out about that mod and player-submitted import has way more amazing builds.

Back to the problem though, when I try to import settlements that has object count from 2000-4000, my game would often hangs, and after learning these experiences, I came more prepared and van avoid most of these problem. But then came Spectacle island, the largest settlement plot in the game. After browsing through imports, I came to this one particular where it covers entire island and gives a more futuristic feels. However, the 1st time import took me a whooping 1.5 days to finish! Not hour, but day! ><

Not only that, but after import finally finished, the real horror came: My FPS dropped to a mere 1-3 FPS! Totally unplayable! LMAO

Well... I do later learn my lesson after putting that aside by doing other quests, learning that by just pointing my view up to sky, I disposed the build and try reimporting again and it only took half hour to finish! :laugh:

Still, the frame rate issues persist. Already tried discussing this with mod guy, and he even said has only slightly better rig than I do, I'm using Nvidia 1060 GTX while he's 1070. In the end, I gave up, and spectacle island ended up void of life till the end. ^^;

There's also one particular sidequest related to this one settlement called Covenant, it was so unique and evil, it's like whatever ending you chose, you would still ended up as bad guy, not that both option does have morality in it. But I learned there's a secret conclusion that ended up more peacefully where both side lives. And here comes the problem: since I started this sidequest AFTER finished main story, it kinda produces a bug where this certain old man NPC would ends up dead and thus, making this secret 3rd ending of this sidequest impossible. And that old man did ends up dead in my game. Not even console command fix would help, as in just mere resurrecting him wasn't enough. Tried looking for answer everywhere and none. So this quest ended up unresolved, although I did play both conclusion and then revert back from old savegame since I still don't like both conclusions.

Funnily though, I managed to finish Nuka World DLC and choosing a conclusion that you would've guessed what I picked. And what's best, I could still make my companion on that DLC persist by my side, of course through the magic of certain fix. ^^;

Well... this story has been way too long already, so I'll just finish this up by saying again that FO4 are by far, the best iteration I've ever experience. Though I still wish to see how my communities thrive, I had to move on since there's still so many pending list. I even try reinstalling FO3 again after gotten it's GotY version as well, restore my backup savegame, and for some reason, FO3 already felt outdated. But I still want to finish it someday, hopefully. ;)

Also, I just want to point this great song that makes me almost believe it's part of official soundtrack, and it should be since it was so haunting & beutiful:

: Fallout, Trailer