Oaknots and Gearing Up In 3.0

Discussion in 'Crafters & Gatherers' started by nekohime, Nov 1, 2015.

1. nekohime

nekohime Adventurer

Server:
    Brynhildr
    So I'm focusing on getting my crafting classes up right now. They're all lvl 33-35 and I just got rank 5 in the Ixal beast tribe and I'm wondering if the Oaknots and Moonstones are still important or if there is new, easier to obtain gear to use for 50-60. Most of the info I've found seems to assume you already have some or all of the old BiS gear to help you get most of the way to 60 and on to the new endame gear. So what should I be preparing for if I don't have ANY of it yet?

2. Caimie Tsukino

Caimie Tsukino Realm Scribe

Server:
    Zalera
    Hello nekohime! :cat:
    Moonstones are useless now, but oaknots can still be helpful for acquiring Ehactl Smithing Gloves and some misc crafting mats. Back then, Moonstones were for Lucis tools and oaknots for Ehcatl sealants for Artisan gear and offhands. Now they are not worth your effort, time and money. Each Lucis tool requires you to already own a Supra, which required a bunch of precious mastercraft demimateria. Similarly, Artisan gear require mastercrafts. Artisan offhands dont need mastercrafts but needs 6 sealants. If you have a crap load of sealants to spare, you can think about getting 1 or 2 offhands (ask someone else to craft for you), but they will be immediate replaced at lvl 53. The Ehcatl Smithing Gloves will probably be the most useful thing for you from Ixali. It is as strong as a fully melded HQ artisan's mitts (so it is considered BiS in ARR), and will probably last you through lvl 55+. Personally, i used Artisan's mitts all the way to lvl 60 without the need to make or buy any new gloves at all. But i can't compare my own abilities with others. Some people might need an upgrade along the way to handle high lvl HW recipes.

In my Heavensward crafting guide (http://ffxivrealm.com/guides/ff14-advanced-crafting-guide-part-3-heavensward-by-caimie-tsukino.156/) chapter 33, i have spent a whole chapter catering new crafters who do not have BiS from ARR. If you follow it, you can transition yourself from an undergeared ARR endgame crafter to a well-gear HW crafter. However, i do recommend you getting at least lvl 50 Wvr, Bsm, Gsm, Crp (and hopefully Alc too) before moving to above lvl 50. Because you will need those lvl 50 cross class skills a lot to handle anything above lvl 50.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
    RoronoaCeli and nekohime like this.
  3. nekohime

nekohime Adventurer

Server:
    Brynhildr
    Thank you so much, that really helps :)

4. Ish

Ish Scion

Server:
    Leviathan
    I seen i had oaknots in my inventory still the other day, i guess i can toss out, lol

5. Caimie Tsukino

Server:
    Zalera
    Depends what you want to do with them! They can be used for purchasing many kinds of crafting mats like potash. Potash is for making vanya silk, which used to be over 150k in the old days. Now due to how easy it is to get potash from GC, and how weaver desyn can produce vanya, vanya price has dropped to like 10 to 15k. There's also a kind of water called Xelphxxxxx water (i forgot how to spell it). That water can ONLY be purchased with oaknots, and is used for making Bacon's Broth to increase desyn success rate by approx 2.5%. Not that powerful, but it's still has some functions, especially when Bacon Broth's effect can be stacked with Tinker's Calm. Tinker's effect is much stronger (+10%), but Tinker is not a food but a medicine, so it only lasts very shortly while Bacon Broth can last for 30 min. You also get 3 bacon broth per synthesis, but only 1 tinker per syn.

6. Ish

Ish Scion

Server:
    Leviathan
    Ahh thanks for all that info Caimie. I may even go back to the beast tribe for a few more then :)

7. nekohime

nekohime Adventurer

Server:
    Brynhildr
    So according to the patch notes for 3.1 the requirements for getting the Lucis and Supra tools has been adjusted. Assuming that they're easier to get now they may be worthwhile, although something tells me that can safely be skipped in favor of new leveling gear added in 3.0. Still if you like how they look you may want them anyway for glamours.

8. Caimie Tsukino

Server:
    Zalera
    I don't deny Lucis tools are great!!!! They're wonderful glamors! I still use 5 to 6 Lucis as glamor at the moment!

Lucis is also so strong that they give a superb head start from level 50 to level 52, and can last until level 57/58 (and some ppl just went ahead all the way to 60).

However, no matter how much they nerf, I have a feeling it probably still requires Mastercraft demi to get Supra first, and the recipe for those 3.5 star items means you will need 2 Fieldcraft III per those items. Moonstone = GC seal grind, and the grinding for those 3 star 40 durab items are also a matter of GC seals. To be frank, if they nerfed the necessity of so much GC seals, it's not as bad a grind. And if you are able to just purchase Mastercraft and Fieldcraft III, you won't have to go through all that trouble of producing them yourself. It's a looooong and rough path to train desyn from zero to 100 just to have the ability to make Mastercraft and FC III.