[Tonberry] Hello Realm!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Raikouryuu, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Raikouryuu

Raikouryuu Adventurer

Hi guys and gals,

I'm a gamer who has been living in Japan for the past 3 years and loving it! I'm really excited about the upcoming FFXIV:ARR game and I love what Yoshi-P has done with it so far.

Sadly, my grasp of the Japanese language isn't top notch, especially kanji. There's just so many ways to read kanji I get confused!
    But, playing Japanese games are a way to learn the language as well. It also provides some insights to the culture here.

Feel free to chat me up in-game/in the forums. I'll be parking myself at Tonberry to have the best of both worlds.

PS. I haven't decided on a character to play yet. I'll update it when the open beta comes live.

Until then, じゃまた

2. Elisar

Elisar Crystal Brave

Welcome to The Realm!

3. PurelySavage

PurelySavage Crystal Brave

4. ThadeusStern89

ThadeusStern89 Crystal Brave

5. Riieko

Riieko Crystal Brave

Hello and welcome!! Always wanted to visit Japan, just don't know anything in regards to their language sadly! Unfortunately, to me visiting a country and not being able to speak sounds a little scary =[

6. ThadeusStern89

It depends where you go. If you're in urban centers then most of them have some English. But if you're looking for hilarious cases where this can go wrong:

www.engrish.com

Riieko likes this.
  7. Riieko

Riieko Crystal Brave

Thadeus: Looooooooooool omg! Wth is that! That's really funny xD! I bet I'd sound like that if I tried speaking Japanese x-x; ahahahahaha

8. ThadeusStern89

Haha yep it's good stuff. Mistranslations always good for a laugh. Some of those signs are too good to be true. They have to be a joke. Too rich. Lol.

Ah it's not too difficult. I learned the language for three years and I came to the conclusion that although the writing is more complex, the speech and the grammar is far simpler. It's a syllabary, unlike our alphabet, and there are no exceptions to their pronunciations unlike in English (cough vs though, for instance). If you have a kindle there's a bunch of grammar books that you can use.

Best one I found was Japanese for Busy People. Comes with a CD, grammar is practical and immediately useful, and the audio is at full speed (no babying, basically). Really nice book. That's if you're interested in learning at some point.

9. Riieko

Riieko Crystal Brave

Thadeus: Oh perfect, I'll def give it a look ! Thanks a lot for the info lmao! I've def been interested for a while now, never really had the will power to sit down and study it for some reason though :arghh: But the book sounds fun!

By the way, so sorry for spamming your thread, Raikou! ><

10. ThadeusStern89

Especially if you're a busy person. It's actually meant for business people, but it was so popular amongst students that it became the standard. Has three books, each with a workbook along with it. And after the first book, it's tough, but worth it.

SmartFM is another one, think it might have a different name now. Used to be free. It's a site, btw. Yeah but not they charge for it. The bastards...

11. Raikouryuu

Raikouryuu Adventurer

Thanks for the welcome and no worries. It's good to see people interested in Japan as well.

Japanese is relatively easy to learn, but difficult to master.

If you're visiting tourist areas, there will be english signs everywhere. They do this because its easier for them to explain that way. Some japanese are too shy to try and speak english.
    My colleagues are the same, some of them want to practise english, some really just can't, and that's where I practise my Japanese.

Overall Japanese people are super nice. And this just happened today http://japandailypress.com/tokyo-passengers-push-train-to-help-free-woman-trapped-in-platform-gap-2332705/