White Mage Why loyal WHMs are about to thrive

Discussion in 'Disciples of Magic' started by GeekMatt, Sep 24, 2016.

1. GeekMatt

GeekMatt Moderator

Server:
    Brynhildr
    If any of you are reading up and talking to your healer-friends, you've probably become aware of the panic over ASTs buffs and how there's concerns of it taking WHMs spot as SCHs co-healer. Some are even suggesting that AST+AST will be the new meta. Speaking as an AST, here's a few things to keep in mind if you're part of the WHM community.

Firstly, many WHMs are panicking and planning on dropping their job over hearsay before actually seeing how this plays out. Additionally, many WHM will switch to AST because it's the job they wanted in the first place but avoided it because AST was being discriminated against, meanwhile up and coming healers decide AST is the way to go due to hype. This means the WHM population will be reduced while the AST population booms.

But now let's look at the meta realistically: WHM has been holding its place because it's the dependable/tried and true healer compared to Diurnal AST (D.AST). What's changed now in the D.AST vs WHM war is that our DPS buff has been made pretty OP, which I'm pretty sure SE did because the community is DPS-obsessed and knew this would incentivize us to take ASTs along with us. But that's it—that's what's changed here in this regard, and whether or not we can draw The Balance is still RNG-based. The other buffs that impact D.AST are of little concern to the guys who are picking between AST and WHM for their raid group, at least when compared to the ongoing argument that AST doesn't have a competitor for Cure III or Assize (which I won't go into but I think AST competes just fine regardless). IMO, this levels the playing field in the war on WHM, but doesn't give a clear advantage.

Meanwhile the other changes have made our shield stance MUCH stronger, which puts Nocturnal AST (N.AST) in competition with SCH because SCH and AST shields don't stack together. IMO nothing will replace SCH because shielding is just a small portion of what it brings to the table as a healer, BUT people will be playing around with N.AST in raid groups and it will likely be a lessor but still totally viable option to SCH. Alongside N.AST we'll want WHM which will likely open more doors for them to get into the raid scene than before, at least at the more casual level. Now some people are suggesting that D.AST+N.AST could be the new meta, and I'm sure some groups will run like that, but I can tell you from experience that AST is AST's least favourite co-healer. Our buffs don't stack, they override each other and since they're RNG-based we can't just plan them out together, and this issue is in addition to the reduced LB you get from stacking the same job in a group.

Tldr;
    There will be fewer WHMs going around, but the job will still be sought after, meaning less competition per opportunities for loyal WHMs.
    AST+AST is bad
    SCH+AST is comparable to SCH+WHM
    WHM+AST will be more viable now.

2. Caimie Tsukino

Caimie Tsukino Realm Scribe

Server:
    Zalera
    As of today, WHM feels "power-overwhelming" in SB! It is at the moment still the king/queen of AoE heals. The range, types and potency of WHM AoE heals are still he strongest among all healer classes. The lilies' skills aren't that great (Plenary Indulgence and Divine Benison), but they're decent enough in supplementing the heals. WHM itself was just built on solid grounds. The Heavensward skills really filled in all the "gaps"/"flaws" that it had before in ARR (it used to lack instance heals, and tetra and assize filled the gap), and now it's just so damn strong regardless of what the lilies do. The lilies are just there to make it "slightly even better".

Do you remember all the worries all the WHMs had before SB? There were memes about WHM being "dead" or being "salty". They were worried that Divine Seals are no more a specialty of WHM, and no more Stone Skin as well. Well, Largesse is a pretty close substitution for Divine Seals. The fact that Largesse is now shared by other healers doesn't make WHM weaker. WHM is still WHM. Shrouds of Saint has been replaced by Lucid Dreams, which are pretty much the same. Stone Skin has been replaced by Divine Benison. Benison actually can absorb slightly more damage than Stone Skin, but its problems are (1) it requires at least 1 lily, (2) it stupidly burns all your lilies, (3) it last only a stupid 15 sec. While stone skin appears to be slightly weaker at first, it is actually much more versatile than Benison. Stone skin --> Divine Benison was probably the only negative thing WHM received in Storm Blood. The new skill Thin Air is ridiculously strong and versatile as well. Of course, Holy has been nerfed since long ago, but when it's paired with Thin Air and Presence of Mind, WHM's AoE attacks/stuns are still crazily strong -- which makes big pull more manageable as well.

So in the end, instead of being "dead", I feel that WHM is actually possibly the strongest healer class at the moment.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    Fybrile and GeekMatt like this.
  3. GeekMatt

GeekMatt Moderator

Server:
    Brynhildr
    I've actually been levelling WHM and grown to not enjoy AST for healing. It's odd because literally every healing spell/ability/trait adjustment that AST got I approve of but the feel of the job just isn't the same with things like having to tightly manage MP (as much as I've always enjoyed WHM MP management, for AST it feels like a distraction from the mechanics that make up the job) and the changes to Role Skills makes it all feel clunky.

As someone who's always loved being capable during more chaotic healing, I'm finding WHM is more enjoyable to play as a healer so far. The other day I was told that I was top DPS in a dungeon too :glee:

I still think WHM got hit awfully hard with Stormblood, but it also gained some power and the changes to healing overall gave WHM some edge.

Fybrile likes this.