Your character's background story and RP profile

Discussion in 'Roleplayers' Table' started by Livify, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Livify

Livify Crystal Brave

So guys, I'm interested in the background story and rp profile you made up for your FFXIV character!

I have written my own story aswell, but it turned out a bit...long XD

I'll start! :) But please don't laugh about my mistakes, but help me to fix them! :)

Character Profile: Kou Ji

Name: Kou Ji Rohnan
    Nicknames: Kou-Kou (like "Coco")
    Race: half Miqo'te (Keeper of the Moon), half Hyur Midlander
    Born in: Gridania
    Birth date: the excact date is unknown
    Mother: Vah'na Lym (Miqo'te)
    Father: Kaidus Dungren (Hyur Midlander, Ul'dah guard)
    Raised by: Robred Rohnan (Hyur Highlander)
    Member of: Grey Sharks (pirates)

[​IMG]

Pictures:

(Young)​
    [​IMG]
    (Old/Now)​
    [​IMG]

Background story

[​IMG]
    It was really cold and rainy. The wind was howling.

Vah'na, a female Miqo'te who had always worshipped the goddess Menphina, gave birth in that night.
    [​IMG]

However, her body was weak. Her soul was torn and her heart was broken by her beloved Kaidus who left her after finding out that she was pregnant.

Kaidus Dungren was not a Miqo'te but a Hyur Midlander and a proud guard of Ul'dah.
    [​IMG]
    He wanted to force Vah'na to abort the child. In his eyes, a "dirty" baby shall not be born. He would not be able to keep his job if the militaries were to find out that his baby is a crossbreed of a Miqo'te and a Hyur.
    [​IMG]
    He turned his back on Vah'na, threw her down the stairs in his house and left her alone in pain. Vah'na was crying and begging him to stay.
    Kaidus didn't care.

The young Miqo'te was never able to regain her full health. She gave up on herself. The only thing that kept her going was her unborn child, that survived the fall.
    [​IMG]

Doctors who treated Vah'na could not explain this wonder, but the unborn was fine and growing day by day. But the Miqo'te couldn't pay the doctors, that's why she had to leave Ul'dah as soon as she recovered.
    [​IMG]

The Miqo'te also found out that Kaidus was informed that the child is fine. She knew he would come after her. Vah'na fled into the forest of Gridania and lived some months in the wild, eating fishes and drinking springwater.
    [​IMG]
    Time had passed and the child was about to be born.
    When Vah'na gave birth in that cold night, alone and freezing, her body let her down.
    [​IMG]

She heard her newborn screaming, but couldn't properly see the face. Everything in front of her eyes got blurry. The Miqo'te prayed to Menphina: "Please, please don't let my baby die...". She hugged it, tried to keep it warm. Then she took her last breath, and one last tear was running through her face.
    [​IMG]
    Vah'na passed away.

However, it seems that the goddess Menphina granted her dying wish. The small baby was lucky and a nice old man found it just a few hours later. Robred Rohnan, as he was called, raised the baby like his own son and gave him the name Kou Ji Rohnan.

Okay, if you want to continue reading, then just visit this little site here, because it's really too long XD

2. Nogitsune

Nogitsune Crystal Brave

Nice :3 I like the effort you went through to get the pictures, you seem really dedicated to this backstory.

I don't have a story myself, but I'm thinking of one. I don't want it to be super tragic like yours but I don't want it to be sunshine and rainbows either. Something that just screams, "I am a summoner/arcanist" without using the generic anime trope of "instant master, just add water". (Seriously, a few too many anime out there where the main protagonist is a sword master from episode 1. What's wrong with growing with the character, eh?) Off the top of my head, this is what I got, excuse the lack of name.

(name) was born to a traveler and an adventurer. The family settled down in a Miqo'te dense village to raise (name). Years later, (name) found the old journals and books his parents kept, detailing their adventures together and how they fell in love. Inspired by his parents past actions, he asked the family to go on adventures together, but the parents refused, fearing (name) would get killed. Disappointed and filled with wanderlust, (name) snuck out and went on his own adventure. After a day, he found an old ruin that was being excavated. So, he went into the old temple. Using his parent's journals, (name) found a lot of secret passage ways and traps that would otherwise kill the excavation team. He found a secret room with an old musty book. Using his parent's journal to decipher some of the text, he blacked out when a light came from the book, only to awake to a Carbuncle in his face. His first summon drained a lot from him as he never used magic before. Excited about his new friend and the power the book holds, he continued to read on, but the text quickly got more difficult to pronounce and just saying a few words felt like he was killing himself. Still excited about this discovery, he took the book and headed home with his fuzzy friend. When he returned, his parents were really mad with him. They hid the book away and chased the carbuncle off where it later de-summoned. A day later, smoke rose from the temple and injured people were coming to the village to be treated, the temple ruin was attacked by a beastman. That same night, the Beastman found the village (name) was in and attacked. Without any real guards or soldiers, (name)'s parents were left to fight the monster. The beastman cried out, asking where the book was. (name)'s mother told (name) to take the book and run, but instead he took the book and summoned Carbuncle, helping fight the beastman, but his powers were too weak and he barely manages to stay conscious this time. His mother urged him to run, so he did, as his parents fought. He ran far away, leaving his parents behind, not knowing their fate. He never reunited with his parents over the years following, figuring they faught the beastman off and are now searching for him. He travelled the land asking where his parents might be, but asking the wrong people and paying too much for the info led him far away and lost on his own adventure. Now 21, he summoned enough to not even feel dizzy, did enough odd jobs to pay for a ticket to the port city of Limsa Limasa (whatever it's called) to become and official adventurer to honor his parents, and to reveal the secrets of summoning.

That's off the top of my head over the last 30 minutes, so it needs a lot of refinement. From that however, he would have a very negative disposition toward beastmen, would have a wanderlust, his parent's journal (which I swear won't be a cheat sheet for RP problems), would be a weak arcanist, a rebellious nature, and the backstory is vague enough to squeeze in nearly any personality. Thinking of giving him two playful sisters just to make his backstory feel less stressful, and to give him future plots if they meet up again. I wouldn't say he "experienced" a tragedy as he kinda ran from one, and he believes his parents are alive so there's a bit of naivete about him. Planning on him being a rather happy go lucky guy always saying how he will find his parents one day and show them how much he has grown. Kinda wanna make a tragic meet that's worse than death, like only his mother survived and she got brutalized to the point she got amnesia.

Empress Ninja, Livify and Meril like this.
  3. Livify

Livify Crystal Brave

Thanks :D It took me quite some time today, but I'm happy with the result :) and yes, I really put a lot of thoughts in that story.

Your story got made up in 30 min? Wow, amazing! I love it! Somehow it reminds me a little bit of Grandia 1 xD the adventurer-part!

It's a great idea to let his mum survive and suffer from amnesia like you said, that makes the story even more interesting!

What gonna happen to his sisters then, if you make him having 2? I mean, he would need to take care of them if they don't die, no? :O I'm curious how you'll make up everything.

And btw I love the fact that he learns to be a summoner because he found a book and not because he had all the knowledge before!

GJ, keep it going :D

Nogitsune likes this.
  4. racooperii

racooperii Warrior of Light

Server:
    Brynhildr
    Livify that is a great background, and love the screen shots in there as well.

My character background story will go something...like this:

The Lost

Grant Tender was born into a loving home, his father and mother tended to a somewhat successful inn between Ul'Dah and Gridania. While growing up he learned a lot from his parents, his mother a wonderful gardener and chef maintained the food at the Inn for road weary travelers. His father a carpenter, tended to the inns repair and from time to time could hammer out a knick or dent in an adventurers gear. Eventually he had two sisters, who would go out to gather from the nature around them. It was a simple and average life.

Grant hated it as a child, growing into angst as a teenager, he would often run off and look for any small lake he could to take on his one passion. Fishing, even if he caught nothing he would let his mind drift like the clouds reflected in the water. He would dream of leaving the inn behind, traveling Eorzea and having adventurers like those the patrons often told him about.

He was 17 years old when Dalamund fell from the sky, but to his family it was a trivial thing "Eorzea has survived 6 Umbral Eras, it'll survive a moon" his dad would tell him. His future was decided, he would take over the Inn once his parents passed, and all he had was resent ment at being chained down. Storming out with words of anger he fled his home, just in time to see the moon shatter apart. The world was red, then white and finally black.

When he came to, Grant's eyes burned, ears rang and body ached. The sight before him was terrible, the lands engulfed in flames, ash covered what remained of plants or animals. The crackling sound echoed through his blood filled ears, all the while a panic began to close around his heart until it threatened to choke the life from him.

He spun around and in a mad dash, stumbled his way back to the Inn.

Wood groaned as it fell to the ground reminding him of his fathers saw and hammer, the smell of ash and ember filled his nose as his mothers cooking once did, and the cackling flames resounded with his sisters voices. The Inn was gone, smothered in the embrace of crimson flames. His home, his past....the future he hated so much were gone, and with them all the certainties he had taken for granted...Grant Tender lost everything.

He would recall with distant eyes many years later, how he buried his family where the Inn stood, how he found whatever he could in the refuse and began traveling. His life as burnt as the Inn, all the simple happiness he had felt like ashes in his mouth. He would ride with caravans, travel to far off cities and towns, using what little he had gained form his life at the inn to make a living for himself.

It would be years of this wandering from place to place, homeless, friendless, hopeless. All the while his anger boiled, at the Empire for bringing that moon, for the Adventurers he admired who couldn't stop it, for the Gods who let it happened, at his Father for not surviving when the world continued on as he had said. The anger would rage, the flames dancing from one blame to another, when suddenly he could only be angry with himself and the regret he felt about his last moments with his family.

But he was not alone, there were others, families, friends lost within the brilliant awakening of the Elder Primal. His pain was his own in a wide world, and lamenting it wouldn't solve anything. Slowly he would become himself again, pushing away his heartache to lend a hand wherever he went. It was in these moments he decided to fight, to find a way to ease the pain of those around him, to stop the empire from bringing its war, to protect those he found precious.

For the first time in 5 years he went to his families graves, praying for a safe journey, for their strength when he had none and made his way to Ul'Dah to train as a Gladiator and begin his journey to fight for the future instead of for the sadness of his past.

Empress Ninja and Livify like this.
  5. Nogitsune

Nogitsune Crystal Brave

Thanks ^_^
    To be honest, you get a pretty good story if you sidestep the cliches, like "oh village was destroyed when I got home" or "I manned up because I witnessed a tragedy." Heck most people break down and become husks of their former selves in worst case scenarios.
    There's a lot of plot holes in the story atm, and so far I have no story about the sisters. My cliche radar says that both girls would live and become badass fighters because they wanted to protect people, but that's another anime plot used way too often. Not everyone who's parents are victims of crime want to be police officers, if you get my drift.

My favorite part of the story though is the Parent's Journal. It's not a source of power, it has no magic, it doesn't have all the answers, it's just the object with symbolic value. It's all he has left of his parents, it's the spark that made him an adventurer, and it's the guide that led him to the greater journey.

Speaking of journey, this is what I used to get a bit inspired to write this.

Part 1 has a weird code for youtube so here's the link.
    http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/the-heros-journey-part-1

Just remember this is not a step by step thing you should follow, but more like, guidelines.

[​IMG]

racooperii
    Nice backstory :) Lots of tragedy. He's a very hateful man apparently. Make one joke about his mom and you will have a snapped neck it seems. His will must be extremely strong to not blame so many people. If the world blew up and I knew only a handful of people could save it, and they didn't, I'd get pretty bent out of shape too. (Then I'd just log in and play planetside 2 to kill people but that's my stress relief :3 )
    Is he a very brooding kind of guy like Cloud or will he be a berserker kind of guy, using his pent up rage and yelling a lot and reveling in killing things? Cuz those both seem very viable for his story. Holding back that much hatred could kill a man before long, so he's goina get it out some way.

6. racooperii

Server:
    Brynhildr
    Well I kind of ment for that hatred to have settled on himself, he was a jovial person and still is. I'm not much for brooding heroes on the surface, he keeps it all in side as his personal pain.

He has a strong will, and the memories of what he lost will keep him going for a long long time.

7. Nogitsune

Nogitsune Crystal Brave

And he got over the hatred by himself? Skillz.
    Personally I like leaving flaws in characters so they can accept them or develop around them. For hate, you'd either need someone to pimp slap you until you start listening to the wise man, someone would temper your hate like a spouse or child, or like you did, your character's will becomes tempered steel, forget iron will, it's steel!
    What would you do if you hated the world and self taught yourself to temper your anger? Hmm...
    Well, I'd probably not be super happy and playful, that's for one.
    I'd also have almost nothing make me mad, or if it did I'd not show my frustration to anybody.
    Hmm... hard for me to characterize a personality post-temperment, since I'm a guy who can't hold a grudge for 5 minutes. Well, I have faith your character will be fun to RP with, if you wanna do that. Still like him :) Just not used to heavy baggage characters.

8. racooperii

Server:
    Brynhildr
    I prefer to have heavy baggage characters. Internal Conflict is just as interesting, if not more, than External Conflict.

I suppose his anger is hidden under layers of regret, remorse and of course humor. He's a pretty likable guys and can get along with anyone, its more of a shadow in his head that no matter how bright his smile or mood will always follow him.

So I plan on him being a nice guy, with moments of deep thought and of course Rage when the right moment strikes.

Empress Ninja likes this.
  9. Syn

Syn Guest

That was great, very well done.

Livify likes this.
  10. racooperii

Server:
    Brynhildr
    Well Im definitely going to tweak it now that I've gotten into beta :)

11. Syn

Syn Guest

One thing I didn't understand though is if he didn't want a "dirty" baby, why date a Mi'Qote? I mean if they are bumping uglies eventually "Womb There it is!" Amirite?

Livify likes this.
  12. Livify

Livify Crystal Brave

Actually I'm writing the story between Vah'na and Kaidus atm :) it's not fully developed yet. I was planning to write that they both met before Kaidus got accepted to become an Ul'dah guard. After he became one, his attitude to Vah'na changed a lot. And so on, I won't tell too much :)

@racoo: Wow, the story is really sad. I know how it feels if you are mean to someone and then you see him for the last time :(. It's a great story, specially because it contains what happened ingame and how it affected your character!

13. racooperii

Server:
    Brynhildr
    Yeah, I just took some emotions and events from my own life and rewrote them and added dramatization. But he's still alive, he knows he should be greatful for that and works towards a better life for everyone. But he'll never fill the void he has. What can I say, I like tortured characters :p.

Livify likes this.
  14. CrimsonMars

CrimsonMars Adventurer

I suggest someone should stick this if we're going to post our character's profile.

I'll post mine later, though it's still under constitution. :)

Empress Ninja likes this.
  15. Nogitsune

Nogitsune Crystal Brave

My story still has an epic sized plothole, which is the whole era ending 5 years ago thing. My character would be 16 by the time that happened, I think, which was roughly the time he ran off. Maybe he ran off at 15, I dunno. Still, I have nothing relating to that event in my backstory. Maybe he was far far away from the destruction? Maybe he was sleeping? Would be funny if he slept though the whole thing. Either way, the reconstruction efforts would offer him tons of construction jobs or other part time help to earn a small living when he was bouncing between adventures.
    Hmm. It would fit him to say he was sleeping through the whole ordeal. I'm not a legacy player so I don't feel a desperate urge to make my character have a plot around the end of the era. Would probably be sleeping out in a rowboat or something at some far off harbor with his Carbuncle sleeping on him.

Other plotholes include the sisters, where are they now? That beastman, what became of him? Where has he been? What of the fate of his parents? And why did it take 5 (or so) years to finally get up and register as an official adventurer?

Well, for the last one, you could say he was making money and working for someone or other for lodging and food until he was ready. Can't say I really want that beastman to live on to hunt the kid, that would be too obvious. Could have it killed by the parents. I like the original idea I had with the mother. As for the girls... Meh, they can be priestesses for all I care. Having two playful sisters would kinda carve out his personality towards women in some ways.

Meh, we'll see how it goes. I think the random name generator named him K'hiro Tia. It's ok, kinda wish I had a codename like Mist does though. Not his thing though.

Empress Ninja and Livify like this.
  16. Najla

Najla Scion

Server:
    Adamantoise
    While not an RP profile (I don't think I'm ready to jump in those water just yet!)
    I plan on keeping Najla's living story here: http://Najla-Sarabi.tumblr.com/
    (WIP)
    I wont officially start her adventure till phase 4. For now, this is her background.

Livify likes this.
  17. Dragon

Dragon Scion

Since I'll be changing the race/gender/name of Lilith Drakomirra to Armitage Dragon, I've pretty much only changed very minor details from my original character's profile to fit Armitage Dragon while having copy/pasted everything else.

http://eodx9k.wordpress.com/2013/07/02/armitage-dragon/

Cold as Ice. Hot as Fire.
    Dark like Chaos.

18. Nogitsune

Nogitsune Crystal Brave

Hey now, chaos is neither dark nor light, it's just random and unpredictable :)

Your character is a lesbian that was raised by dragons and walks around in miniskirts and tight shirts? Weird. More weird that she was raised by dragons, no so much she dresses like a hooker on her free time. (no offense)
    I'd imagine telling people that they were raised by dragons would make people think she's a bit crazy. Does she have unquestionable proof or does she struggle convincing anyone? I like the later. If this character were in a movie, would you prefer some person coming out of nowhere saying she was raised by dragons and had unquestionable proof? Or would you prefer she be looked down upon by normal society until later in the story when she actually could prove it? (or if you want a plot twist, she would go to her kin and try to prove it but they vanished or were killed and now there's no evidence of her being raised by them so she has to either blend into society or become a stray dog, so to speak).
    Also, just a random thought, why would dragons teach you to dress yourself? I know it would make things less awkward in the plot of the story, but I'm just saying. :p Indecent exposure is not a felony in dragon'land, last I checked.
    Overall, it's an interesting character, though a little farfetched for my tastes. Could be believable in a fantasy setting but still. My character would either be doubting the whole raised by dragons thing, or blindly accepting it as truth and asking dumb questions like the paragraph above this one.

Najla
    Nice little website :) I like the song.

Najla likes this.
  19. CrimsonMars

CrimsonMars Adventurer

I like what you did with your character's profile, Dragon. My main character also happens to like the ladies. Is it possible they can hook up? :p

Dragon likes this.
  20. Livify

Livify Crystal Brave

I like Dragons description. It's really exotic, and I like that fact that his char is a lesbian!

I demand screenshots.

Dragon likes this.